Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Personal Halo Retrospective

It's been eleven years since the first Halo came into the world after a long string of versions and designs. Third person shooters and strategy games lined the road that lead to a game changing first person shooter, now known and, at times, revered by the gaming public. Me, I enjoy it. Even as it has changed, become the poster child for great online gaming, become the old favorite, and completely get put behind an overrated modern war shooter and all of its clones. But, the point is, Halo 4 is coming, and I just finished Reach (my first Halo completed on Normal difficulty sadly, but I did it), so I feel like talking about Halo.

Ten years ago, I was selling donuts for marching band and met one of my grandmothers neighbors who was chewing through the single player campaign again. He got me in for a bit of co-op, and I enjoyed what I played. He then invited me to one the lan gaming group he had on the weekends. I spent a many of sessions with these people, and cultivated some level of FPS gaming ability that I've been trying to improve on in recent years (with increasing the difficulty out of the easy mode that allowed me to see through several games). It took a long time until I actually got a chance to play through the campaign. When it finally happened, I was impressed, and I am still impressed. Great art design, and fairly strong story telling matched with strong game play made for a great experience. I still enjoy it when I return to it.

Unfortunately the magic was blurred with the sequel. Ambition and bizarre story decisions hurt Halo 2, but it seemed that the focus went into the multiplayer rather than the single player campaign. Also, the ending left a lot to be desired. They picked up the pieces with Halo 3, which I flew through in co-op in a single night (well almost...the person who bought the game was pretty ticked that an eighty dollar game was almost completed in a few hours.

But this was the last that I thought that I'd see of the series. What Bungie had delivered was a great trilogy of sci fi action games, changing the way that people approached the genre, and, unfortunately, made the style common in the gaming landscape. However, it was still the first, and it definitely deserves respect for that. When Bungie announced that they were releasing an expansion to Halo 3 called ODST, I bought in. Or, well, I played it co-op with the same roommate who had paid for my Halo needs in the past (well, I did buy that sweet Master Chief 360 controller). Following ODST, I was impressed that they could actually shift the way that their series was designed a bit. ODST was incredibly entertaining.

Now, Bungie has parted ways with the series, and has set sail for new shores with the Destiny franchise. In their absence, Halo Wars was released (which I haven't played yet), and the prequel Reach. I just finished Reach, which was a stunning game. There are so very few games that are so dismal in tone from the outset, especially war focused shooters like the Halo franchise has produced. I'm impressed that they would risk such a move.

But I do feel that Bungie created something very dense, ready for the creation of great stories. While the Halo games won't win awards for their storytelling, there is the potential there for something amazing. The lore is interesting, and is always growing. Given the work done on Reach, I think that the stories of the Halo universe are in good hands with 343i.

I am actually looking forward to Halo 4, and Bungie's Destiny franchise. These studios have done good stuff. Remember, I think of games as a source for having fun.I enjoy a good story, and stellar gameplay, but I can still dig a good shooter. And that exactly what I've always expected from the Halo franchise.

The Redeemer Saga...I'm going to enjoy it....

Just give Reach a try...bleak game...

No comments:

Post a Comment