Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Final Fantasy XIII-2, Writing, and Some Other Nonsense

Around twenty hours and thirty fragments into Final Fantasy XIII-2, I realized how much I miss the Chrono franchise. Sure, the Final Fantasy series still holds my attention far more than most RPG's, but the magic isn't quite as strong. At least, not until XIII-2.

Everything about this game screams out for me to dump an inconceivable amount of time into the game. It's too bad that the story, protagonists, and framework of the game kind of hurt it. Serah is an idiot, with ridiculous dialogue. Noel has an interesting past, and is a character I like to follow, but his ramblings about time are repetitive and don't drive the narrative. With all of the melodrama spread like fine butter over this story, it's a surprise to see that there was real potential here.

The antagonist, Caius Ballad (whose name is just as ridiculous as his giant winged sword), actually walks around with the real tragedy of the game. I won't ruin anything, but the things that happen around him are actually compelling, and could have made for one of the best stories in the franchise. There just isn't enough drive to the plot. However, I also think that if they locked the focus on the plot, it would have detracted from the gameplay. There could be a balance to be struck, with a longer story arc than exists, but it's not here just yet. I'm looking forward to the next two chapters, and the finale, because the game is actually quite good. Sure, it's not FFVI or even IX, but it's a sight better than X-XII, and pushes beyond the weaknesses of its immediate predecessors.

But there are other things going on in the world beyond this game. By the way, the Collector's Edition version is spectacular. The packaging is lovely, the art book a nice little addition, and the four disc soundtrack stealing the show. While I wish they'd kept the artwork from the announcement photo, it's not a hideous design. The soundtrack itself is...well...schizophrenic. The orchestral bits are pretty good, and there are some other moments that are alright, but all of the battle music is awful. Death metal fused J-Rock doesn't fill with me excitement when I'm cutting down giant monsters.

I just jumped back on the game for a second there didn't I? Okay, let's just move on.

Instead of working on my short story, Dead City Center, or editing my novel, currently titled either Crusader, Weakness, or something else...I'm writing this blog and playing this game. The short story I'm working on right now is a great little oddity, and an absolute blast to think about, but a nightmare to structure and write. I will be finishing, and then editing it. I want publication. A portfolio. I want work.

And as for work, I'm still at CVS, I'm working very hard, yes, and it sucks away a lot of time. I do like being at home more though, and life has improved in that regard. Spending more time with Jo just sweetens everything about my existence. Getting off work means more than it ever has.

So, here's the coming soon.

--Finish Dead City Center
--Edit more of Weakness
--Create a cover and Ad Campaign for the novel.
--Begin the kickstarter program
--Find a publisher for Dead City Center
--Beg some media types to do a story on the novel and its kickstarter.

Now, I do fully realize that no one will care about this beast of a book just yet. This will take a lot of work, and I hope that my friends will spread the word. Just a little share on their facebook page will be all that it takes.

And I pray that it helps with the stuff that is tabbed on my browser right now.

Let's see what happens folks...


Recent Library Additions:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Collector's Edition (XBOX 360)
Sonic and Knuckles (CIB, Genesis)
Mortal Kombat II (32X)


No comments:

Post a Comment