Monday, March 12, 2012

Collection Post

I've recently been on quite the collecting frenzy. In two weeks time, I've added quite a bit to my collection, mostly pertaining to my list of "epic collection" pieces. I guess you could just go ahead and call this a "Recent Acquisitions" post, but more, I'm going to ruminate on my ideas about collecting video games, collectors, the retro market, and possibly just the art form itself.

But let's begin with my recent additions to the library.

Bust a Move 2 Arcade Edition -- PS1 Long Box
Wing Commander --Sega CD
Ecco: The Tides of Time -- Sega CD
Resident Evil -- PS1 Long Box
Virtua Fighter 3TB -- Dreamcast JP import
Enemy Zero -- Saturn
Silpheed -- Sega CD
Blood Stone 007 -- XBOX360
Kings Knight --NES loose
James Bond 007-- Game Boy
The World is Not Enough -- PS1
Great Football ---SMS in box
Great Baseball -- SMS in box
The Ninja -- SMS in box
Vortex -- SNES in box
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 -- Saturn
Skeleton Warrior -- Saturn
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei -- Saturn

phew...that took too long.

Now, for those who are disgusted with how much money I could spend on video games, allow me to inform you that that haul didn't cost as much as it could have, and my lovely Jo is the person who paid for some of it. I may have seventy dollars in that haul. I think Jo has seventy five in it. Now, when you pull out the fact that PDIIZ was forty dollars, and that a RE Long Box usually fetches fifty dollars online, I've done very well. But let's not spend too much time focusing on the financial investment involved. Nor the fact that my lovely fiance was also the person who added the modded Saturn to the collection in the past few weeks as well.  And a Nook, which I should also make a post about...

But if you are still reading this ridiculousness, then you should note that there is no real trend to my collecting, aside from my bizarre penchant for failed video game consoles. There are a couple of things that I look for when I go out hunting for games. One is long box titles for the Sega CD, Saturn, and PS1. Another is 32X games, which I seek a full library of. Old RPG's that don't cost a small fortune, good deals, and cheap games. Then there is the "Epic List". While, per the name, this should be a list of games with brilliant stories and fantastic design, it is but a list of very specific games and prints that I want to have in my library at all times.

Ultima IV NES CIB (maps etc)
Final Fantasy NES CIB (maps, etc)
Vandal Hearts PS1 (CIB)
Gun Nac NES (doesn't matter)
Xenogears (PS1,CIB, print doesn't matter)
Snatcher (SEGA CD, CIB)
Panzer Dragoon (cib, Saturn)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (CIB Saturn)
Lunar 2 (Sega CD, CIB)\
Super Mario Bros. 3 NES CIB
32X Library (9/38 so far), CIB not necessary, but nice.
Castlevania franchise (CIB not required for Cartridge games)
NES Star Wars Games (Loose or CIB, though CIB would be nice.)
Zillion (SMS, boxed at least.)
Resident Evil Code Veronica X (GameCube, CIB)
Dark Wizard (SEGA CD, CIB)
Might and Magic (Genesis, CIB)
Vay (Sega CD, CIB)
Earthbound (SNES, any, don't spend a fortune though)
D (PS1 or Saturn, CIB, Long Box...although I don't think there was a Jewel Case Reprint)
D2 (DC, CIB)
Sonic 1 and 3 CIB (not expensive at all. More of a waiting game at PNT)
Myst PS1 CIB
Shenmue 2 (DC Euro Import or XBOX CIB)
Popful Mail (Sega CD CIB)
Shining Force CD (Sega CD CIB)
Secret of Mana (SNES, loose is fine)
Resident Evil Long Box PS1
Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei (Saturn)
Enemy Zero (Saturn)

That is copied straight from the notepad file I have it in, so please ignore the format. And as you'll see, this list makes no real sense. Some of these games are recommendations that I take very seriously. Some of these games are classics, cult classics, or just unique enough to make a part of the collection.The unique stuff is the most fun. Games like D and Enemy Zero will never find a wide enough audience to warrant a remake of any kind, so Panzer Dragoon is a fantastic rail shooter, and that's one of my favorite genres. The most expensive game on the list belongs to that franchise. Some would question why would I specifically need a Long Box variant of Resident Evil when there are other versions with more replay value. To that I just say, look at the long box variant art work, the inlay design, and even the booklet. There is a lot to appreciate. It's just a shame that none of the best games in the Playstation library were ever released in the long box format. I would have loved to have seen what Square would have done with the Final Fantasy artwork had the style continued. Cover art seems to be part of what a lot of collectors are impressed by, which is why there are places like The Cover Project and Game Rave online.

But then there are the obsessive Library collectors, who don't even play the things that they collect. I've read about a collector who has a compete collection of PS2 games, all sealed. What is the point of collecting if you don't play the games collected? But that is just a small note. The increase of collectors, mostly library collectors, has caused aftermarket sellers to raise the price of games higher than they should be. Namely the Saturn games I collected have skyrocketed in recent years for no other reason than that retro games are in demand now. This is due in part to people buying the games, and of course, supply and demand dictates that the price should go up. But sadly, that means that these games are becoming more expensive because someone ultimately wants to make more money off of new collectors.

This is why I found myself in the shop of a reseller at a flea market on Saturday, disgusted by the prices of some of the most common games in the retro market. This guy had Tetris carts marked for twenty bucks, and no, it wasn't the Tengen unlicensed cart either. Nor should Mario 3 be twenty five dollars loose. No one should ever spend $2500.00 on sealed Saturn games. Where did this mindset come from other than that there are people who want to make money on the stupid anyway? There isn't a precedence for this, I shouldn't have to spend twenty dollars on a copy of MK3 on the Saturn when there is a trilogy set on X-Box Live Arcade for ten bucks. It was a common title on the console, with Digital Press rarity rating of 2.

This has turned into more of a rant than anything, but then again, I'm tired. I just got off work, and I'm ready for some sleep. Tomorrow I will play some games, and hopefully make it through work without as much chaos as I witnessed tonight. However, the hunt will continue, and I will be gaming. But seriously, I need to get some videos online, and talk to people with some actual game footage. If anyone actually reads this and knows of a cheap shelving solution, please drop it in the comments, because there is a lot of overflow that I keep having to flex around on my shelves. Perhaps I can just start with a collection video and go from there. But I'd have to find people who'd care enough to watch. Anyway, gamers, keep playing.


No comments:

Post a Comment