Monday, February 21, 2011

Oh my, my never ending cheapness is going to pay off.

First thing I see when I open up IGN this morning is an article announcing that Xenogears, the classic PS1 JRPG, is going to PSN tomorrow. This guy right here is going to get it.

Just for a little bit of background, I got to the PS1 late, opting for the Nintendo 64 for my gaming at the time. When I got hooked on JRPG's in middle school, I begged the parents for PS1, and eventually got one, with Final Fantasy VII. Now I think that game is massively overrated, and have better memories of better games on the console. Xenogears was one that I borrowed from a friend who got lucky on a reprint copy. I never finished the game, getting stuck at the tail end of the game.

Now I get a sweet little second chance, provided I can find the time to play the bloody thing.

Despite that, I'll put it on my PSP along with Final Fantasy VII-IX (yes, I know I just called VII overrated. That doesn't mean it was bad). Maybe I'll dig up my old save...or start all over. I'm a much smarter gamer than I was back when I first played the controversial and massively confusing game.

Oh, no, I don't look forward to the giant never ending storybook sections that make up the second disc. I'm not sure what it is about philosophically charged things involving giant robots, but these two things usually bring on the death knell of mass media creativity--budget cuts. The last episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion suffered a similar mess, in which the entire thing was made up of still shots and about three minutes of animation. And while the game actually plays and runs fine, it's still a bit dodgy at it's conclusion as a result.

But the first disc is still spectacular!

Now...to wait until it's financially feasible to buy and download this beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment