Saturday, December 31, 2011

News

Well, it's been a while, hasn't it? Believe it or not, I have been busy. Since my last post, I ran a pretty heavy run with PopArma.com, and after that, I wrote a book. Yes. A whole book. Not just started, but completed. Sure, it's somewhere between a novella and an actual novel, but it's done and awaits the editing stage. Some who read this blog (I hope there is someone anyway) are probably wondering where my other work is, what this book I finished is, and what is next.

The book I finished is tentatively called Weakness, and is a fantasy novel deconstructing the character archetypes found in Japanese RPG's. It's a dark little book, and was written in just over thirty days as part of NaNoWriMo. I succeeded in writing 50k words in a month, and finished things off in the days following.

I know that this wasn't one of my earlier works, but it was one sitting in my head. It's done now. Once I edit the ugly thing, I'll get to work on finding it a proper home. But until then, I'm going to get back to The Alternative, which I've been working on bringing to prose. I have comic scripts that I need to go around deleting so I can get it published properly once I get it ready as well. But the fact is, those are my giant outlines, and I'm building the book around those. I have about 17k words on it now, and I plan to have it written by the end of February.

The editing stage for Weakness will be completed by the end of March by my best figures, and I will begin shopping it around a bit once the first ten to twenty thousand words are edited. I will then plan the editing stage for Alternative vol. 1 and begin writing book two.

People who have discussed book two with me (entitled Road to the West) know how excited I am to get to that one. They are probably wondering why I'm not so excited about the first one, and its simple: I wrote it once, and I'm having to rewrite it now. Sure. it's completely different, but it's still a repeated story. That and Road to the West is a book I'm genuinely pleased with in terms of direction. It has legitimate drama, I feel, and will be a better book than either Weakness or Alt. Vol. 1.

In other news:

I now work from a new office. In the past month, I have moved to Louisiana, and am settling in to do new things from my new living space. Hopefully some of it will make some money and I'll be able to do this kind of thing full time. But that is all in due time. I will probably have to get a second job to pay off school loans I accrued earning my degree, and that will definitely put a hole in my plans until I adjust. We will just have to see how it works out.

However, there is something exciting I'd like to announce though--I will be doing something game related, and I will hopefully do something on video as well.

I'd like to get back to video game blogging, and I have a lot of stuff to comment on. But the most exciting thing I have in my mind is a video review series unlike anything I've ever seen before. I'm definitely going to have to experiment with it, but my workspace is arranged in such a way that I have a good shot at pulling it off this time. I just need to pick a title to do the first trial with.

In addition to the game review series, I'm looking to move to vlogging instead of the written thing. If I pair the series and the vlogs, I will do well to gather views and possibly get representation on a site where such videos are collected. However, a good portion of my vlog stuff will be oriented around my novels, editing, and the processes of getting them published. This is going to be part of my marketing if I self publish though, so we'll see what happens. I just hope I don't scare my viewers off with my dull narration of my own activities.

Anyway, now that I'm done clearing my throat to head into 2012, I'm going to go sit down with Alt. Vol. 1 and see if I can crack that 18k mark before the day is out, and start the new year off right with a daily word count exceeding 1000 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment